Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Twittering Voices

     "I thought twitter was only for famous people," my niece announced when I told her I had created a twitter account.  It is for famous people, I explained,  but it is also for Jane shmuckalinas, like me. I have no claim to fame. I haven't published a novel or performed with a world-renowned orchestra. I'm not an actress, comedian, or reality star. I'm not likely to be "discovered" by anyone except my students as they begin ENG 101. Yet, I have a twitter account that I absolutely adore. Perhaps I am still in an awe-struck stage. After all, I "follow" an  impressive list of people ranging from authors who also have appearances in my kindle and on my book shelves to musicians paid to perform, conduct or write about classical music across America and Europe. I was almost late for one of my son's high school band performances because THE Paulo Coelho was sponsoring a LIVE Twitcam. I couldn't miss it. Besides, I made it before half-time!

     Twittering has connected my ears to voices immersed in old and new interests, primarily books and classical music. In addition to twitcams, this medium offers me inspirational quotes, quirky comments that cause me to laugh,  links to informative articles that I haven't been privy to on Facebook or the local news, and most treasured, conversation with an author of a genre with which I am only vaguely familiar, but enjoying immensely.  All these voices remind me how large this world is and how many people love the same things I do. Tonight, I read my tweets as I listened to Chopin. Nothing adds drama like "Rondo For Two Pianos in C."

No comments:

Post a Comment